Netherlands Leprosy Relief (NLR), is a professional organization working in the field of leprosy and disability in 16 leprosy endemic countries. Each year, around 219.000 people globally are diagnosed with leprosy. Indonesia ranks number 3, with relatively high disability rates. NLR, with its International Office in Amsterdam, has been supporting projects in Indonesia since 1967. The main partner of NLR Indonesia is the Ministry of Health (MoH) and activities are aligned to MoH policies and priorities. At provincial level, the Leprosy Control Program Technical Advisors (LCTAs) are strengthening the capacity of the provincial and districs government’s health staff to improve the quality of leprosy services. Next to supporting leprosy control, NLR Indonesia’s Inclusion and Disability program aims to support and advance holistic, community-based rehabilitation and sustainable inclusive development for persons with disabilities, including children with disabilities and people affected by leprosy.
Chemoprophylaxis e.g. single-dose of rifampicin (SDR) have been shown to be effective as post-exposure prophylaxis (PEP) in contacts of leprosy patients. It is expected to be sufficiently bactericidal to treat people with subclinical leprosy infection. It is not found to be very effective in close contacs hence an effective additional strategy is screening of contacs of new cases using an immunological screening test and giving those testing positive an enhanced prophylaxis with two antibiotics and the intervention is known as PEP++, while the others whor are not positive receive a single dose of rifampicin.
Start on 2017, NLR will implement the PEP++ in 3 highest leprosy endemic countries (India, Brazil and Indonesia). In Indonesia, the five-years project will be implemented in two districs of East Java. Our dream is to stop transmission of leprosy with objectives are to achieve early detection and preventive treatment of leprosy-infected people before symtoms appear, to provide and to disseminate evidence of the effectiveness of the Stop Transmission approach to relevant stakeholders.
We are looking for the full-time position of: Research Assistant based in Pasuruan & Pamekasan
The PEP++ Research Assistant carries out the activities as part of the PEP++ research project at sub-district/state level. The Research Assistant is responsible for the coordination and administration of the PEP++ project in the area they work in, in close collaboration with the local health services. (S)He is also responsible for the quality of data collection. (S)He reports to the PEP++ District Coordinator.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Help the PEP++ District Coordinator to prepare the local health team to start project activities at sub-district/state level
2. Ensure availability of materials, such as: screening tests, forms for recording and reporting, medication etc. by liaising with the PEP++ Supervisor
3. Build and develop a network at sub-district/state to help ensure the success of the project
4. Establish an effective coordination mechanism among different stakeholders at sub-district/state level
5. Organize sub-district/state level PEP++ meetings
6. Attend PEP++ meetings on request of the PEP++ Supervisor at district/state level
7. Help the PEP++ Supervisor to align the sub-district/state level planning with the district/state level planning cycle for the PEP++ project
8. Assist the PEP++ Supervisor in making annual calendars of operation – Gantt chart
9. Implement the various components of the research project, including side studies, as per the planning
10. Ensure continuous supply of materials, drugs, forms etc. by liaising with the PEP++ Supervisor
11. Translate materials (index, contact and adverse event forms, perception study questionnaires) and perform field-tests for forms and questionnaires
12. Ensure that the project document and the standard operating procedures are followed when project activities are carried out
13. Ensure good quality data collection, data validation and proper management of the registration forms (paper based as well as electronic registers)
14. Monitor and supervise the work of other staff (health staff and community workers/volunteers) involved in PEP++ project activities
15. Take part in the side studies (e.g. perception and acceptability study)
16. Use the recording and reporting system for sub-district/state level recording and reporting
17. Submit timely, quarterly progress and financial reports to the PEP++ Supervisor
18. Any other tasks related to the implementation of the PEP++ research project
19. Present at PEP++ meetings on request of the PEP++ Supervisor or PEP++ Project Coordinator
1. Bachelor degree in Nursing or Nursing graduates or Public Health (Biostatistic/Epidemiology)
2. Have an internship experience in Puskesmas and / or other health facilities will be an added value
3. Proven experience in operational research.
4. Ability to analyze and interpret data.
5. Sensitivity for intercultural differences.
6. Good communication skills.
7. Willingness for frequent travels.
8. Able to communicate in Madura language will be an added value
9. Computer skills (MS Word, Excel, Power Point, internet, Epi-info, SPSS, etc.)
10. Have a SIM C
How to Apply
Application letter together with updated CV and reference letters should be submitted via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application will be screened immediately upon reaching the above email address. The qualified candidate will be contacted for requirement process accordingly. Preference shall be given for having working experiences in similar or related project on above topics.
NLR Indonesia values diversity and inclusion and encourages all qualified people to apply, regardless of religion, race, gender, sexual orientation or disability